The first step is to verify the site. Google will not accept any sitemap without approving the site it is designated for initially.
- Sign in to Google Webmaster Tools just like you log in into other Google features.
- Press “Add a Site” and provide the URL to Google site in the pop-up box. Then press continue.
- On the page that opens afterwards, press the radio button right after “Add Meta Tag.”
- Copy the Meta tag from the instructions box. We’ll use this later.
- Open a new tab in the browser and open the site you wish to verify.
- Press “More Actions” and click “Manage the Site” from the list.
- Click the General from the tabs which is located right under Site Setting tab.
- Now the Meta tag copied from the instructions box should be pasted in the place right next to Verification.
- Save the changes.
- Go to Webmaster Tools where the Meta tag was copied from.
- Press Verify.
The second step is to submit the sitemap to the google.
- Go to Webmaster Tools site.
- Select the site of the sitemap.
- Click Site Configuration-> Sitemaps.
- Click Add/Test Sitemap which is located in top right corner.
- In the box that pops up, paste the following code:
- Submit the sitemap.
The sitemap is now successfully submitted.